In the census 2011 data there is data at ward level. Is it possible to get shapefiles at that level? (paid/free) Please don't refer me to GADM , which is at taluk level. I want at least 2011.

How good is google geocoding api with respect to this? Are there any other alternatives?

  • I think this is a question best researched/asked at the Open Data Stack Exchange. If you decide to leave it here can you include links to the previous Q&As that you have discounted as being not useful for your purposes, please?
    – PolyGeo
    Oct 1, 2016 at 18:03
  • Is there a direct way to transfer it open data exchange
    – kishen suraj P
    Oct 2, 2016 at 1:29
  • Yes - I can migrate it but I strongly recommend that you review their help and edit it there to ensure that meets that site's standards.
    – PolyGeo
    Oct 2, 2016 at 1:45

1 Answer 1


Village level boundaries for many parts of India is available here as JSON files as per 2001 census data

  • can you refer me to the official website ,if possible?
    – curio17
    Oct 20, 2016 at 8:57
  • I don't know which is original website. See this github page
    – S. Thiyaku
    Oct 20, 2016 at 9:02
  • Is it possible to get for some states atleast,from official website?
    – curio17
    Oct 21, 2016 at 2:38
  • One can get wms service from Bhuvan. Try contacting Survey of India
    – S. Thiyaku
    Oct 21, 2016 at 4:56
  • Will that be 2011 or 2001?
    – curio17
    Oct 21, 2016 at 10:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.