Just looking around, and noticed that the CSV dataset that should be a list of all elementary schools in the US, is actually a population breakdown of Canadian provinces.


I don't see any way to flag a problem with this dataset...

  • Have you tried the Contact Us form?
    – Kermit
    Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 15:31
  • 2
    This question appears to be off-topic because it is about a problem with a web site.
    – Kermit
    Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 15:31
  • 2
    @FreshPrinceOfSO I'd say this question is very much on topic, especially since I know that we have quite a few data.gov experts here on Open Data SE. For a detailed discussion about this kind of question, please have a look at meta.opendata.stackexchange.com/q/124/70 Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 20:53
  • 2
    @PatrickHoefler : and even more importantly, they refer people here for issues ... look on the left side for the bit about 'Questions? Issues? Join the community on Open Data StackExchange.'
    – Joe
    Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 21:41
  • 1
    Is this something StackExchange wants (this site to be a means of support for a .gov website) ?
    – Kermit
    Commented Jul 23, 2013 at 22:29

1 Answer 1


The datasets that you might be looking for are all school districts and/or the School Universe Survey. To provide feedback on any of the datasets on Data.gov, you can contact the dataset owner listed on the page (contact email, which in this case is [email protected]) or contact Data.gov at the contact link at the bottom of every Data.gov page.

The URL you are linking to is for a new concept site on Data.gov (Next.Data.gov) for which we are eliciting feedback on a set of new approaches and user interface. This site is not fully operational, but in this case the link is clearly incorrect and I'll get it fixed right away. The contact listed on this page is Marina Martin at [email protected].

  • "contact Data.gov at the contact link at the bottom of every Data.gov page." The contact page needs help. It supports essentially 3 options: "Ask a question", "Make a Request", "Report a Problem". The problem reported above is clearly a a problem, but if one follows that link currently (5 Mar 2015), one receives only the suboption to "Report a problem with the website", i.e. to put an issue on the website code. data.gov should provide an option to mark a dataset as misclassified when it clearly is.
    – TomRoche
    Commented Mar 5, 2015 at 16:40
  • Thanks @TomRoche. I've added an issue to the Github repository to have the Data.gov team fix this: github.com/GSA/data.gov/issues/603 Commented Mar 8, 2015 at 13:16

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.