We are joining a datathon tomorrow with the goal to get insight in the whole ocean overfishing situation and we are looking for data to prepare a little bit. Global Fishing Watch seems interesting however we cannot find the data online. Does anyone have any good open datasets that could be relevant for this project?
- There are a bunch of sources here. Look down below in the Sources section.
- A PDF from FAO, part of the UN.
- Status of fish stocks from UN FAO.
- State of the Ocean report for 2013 from the International Program of the State of the Ocean.
- Commercial fishery, Fish landing data. Here you choose your parameters like fish species, date range, and it outputs data in an HTML table or text file. You can also choose all US states, geographic region, or single states.
- Fishwatch, from NOAA has reports on: status of fish stocks (2015 report here as pdf), fish landings, and US fisheries economics.
Don't let the increasing tonnage caught fool you. Catches of some species can increase due to better ability to find them and better technology in general.