All information I can find on global HIV incidence broken down into male/female categories is in the form of already processed charts. I've attempted to find a raw HIV dataset that breaks down into a number of categories (drug user, gender, country etc) however these datasets seem to require that I am affiliated with an academic institution and that I am conducting a study, which must be authorized (eg: [1]) (I don't fall into any of these categories, as this project is an independent curiosity of mine).

Would anyone know how I could go about getting access to raw, categorized, global HIV incidence data where I'm not required to be affiliated with an academic institution?

  • 3
    Have you looked at AIDSinfo Online Database?
    – long
    Commented May 6, 2015 at 5:25
  • @long - Thank you, that's what I'm looking for, although the data is a bit confusing as it's categorized into strategy programs rather than merely incidence of infections.
    – user4779
    Commented May 6, 2015 at 5:45
  • 1
    Did you try the WHO Global Health Observatory? That's where I got a lot of cholera data (as .csv's, if I recall correctly). Commented Sep 28, 2016 at 19:21
  • Have you found an answer for this? I guess a single country or region would be more likely than global data with demographics.
    – philshem
    Commented Nov 19, 2016 at 18:51
  • Is the drug user an example or a required stratification? Commented Mar 1, 2018 at 3:49

1 Answer 1


There seems to be a tremendous variety of data on HIV available from World Health Organization: http://www.who.int/hiv/data/en/

This site also seems to have fantastic data plus it lists sources: https://ourworldindata.org/hiv-aids#data-sources

CDC: https://www.cdc.gov/hiv/statistics/overview/

UN data: http://data.un.org/Data.aspx?q=hiv&d=UNAIDS&f=inID%3a35

I hope some of these help.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.