OpenStreetMap is a freely reusable map of the world.
I am looking for a similar effort, but concentrating on vertical aerial photographs:
- Free to download synthesized orthophotomaps
- Free to download original photographs and position/correction metadata
- Photographs as detailed, non-cloudy and recent as possible
- Same license as OpenStreetMap, or more liberal
- Resolution: As good as possible. I am aware different areas will have different resolutions, depending on what drones/planes/satellites have been there).
Bonus if the community has its own website with:
- World browser showing as a "satellite view", ideally superimposing OpenStreetMap city labels
- Dialog to upload new photographs and their metadata
Wikimedia Commons has a lot of free satellite pictures but they have no coherent position/elevation/orientation information. They could probably be re-used as the building blocks to build a solution.