I am doing a research paper about how immigration impacts GDP, and I would like to know where can I find data about H-1 (Work visa):
Who is coming to the US because of work, and which state does he/she enter?

For example: Paul is from the UK, and he got a H-1B visa, and he is working for a company in CA, starting in 2008.

I would like to have the data from 1994 to 2013, or 1993-2013.

t doesn't matter which country they are from, and what industries. I just want to know each State's number of H1 visa by year by state.

I tried the Department of states, USCIS, Department of Labor, and more, and still can not find the data I was looking for in the past 10 years.


1 Answer 1


The Department of Homeland Security has a table with breakdown by State, but not by Visa type. Probably you can find similar data sets for previous years.

Persons Obtaining Lawful Permanent Resident Status by State or Territory of Residence and Region and Country of Birth: Fiscal Year 2013 (XLS, 175 KB)

Also from DHS is a breakdown by State over year, but without country of origin - Excel, 2008 data.

In general, you can search the data.gov portal for "immigration" and more search terms.


Doing so returns my 359 data sets aggregated from multiple government sources. Scan through those results and perhaps you'll find exactly what you are looking for.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.