First you will need to define the schema of your final database and determine how you will map each file to your schema.
Then I recommand using ETL tool (Extract Transform and Load) such as Talend Open Studio (TOS) or Penthao (both are open source solution). Using such tools will allow you to:
- automate the process (and not process each file individually)
- create mapping for each file between the original format and your SQL schema
In the case of talend you will do something like this:
- find the right component to connect to the input file (I don't know the format made available by FARS)
- connect this component to a tmap
- connect the tmap to a tSQLout component to update your database
Then using a tLoop and a putting your file name as a variable, you can loop through the different file and process them and define a different route depending on the file format from FARS (and update the tmap accordingly).