Android APKs are often restricted by regions, for instance an APK is available in Korea but not in Nigeria, for obscure marketing and narrow-mindedness reasons. That leads many Android users to download APKs from a wide range of dodgy APK download sites.
- Problem: Intducing spyware/malware in an APK is easy, and many of these download sites do it.
- Solution: Verify the checksum of the downloaded APK. Unlike APK themselves, checksums are legal to publish.
Request: I am looking for a database of checksums of APK files.
- Checksums of most popular apps present on Google's Play Store
- For as many versions as possible of each app, at least the most recent version (some lag is acceptable)
- Using any popular secure checksum algorithm such as SHA1
- Searchable by application name or namespace