I am looking for a dictionary of common misspelled words that can be used to highlight errors. I am not looking for a normal dictionary as I don’t want to hit things like names.

It cannot include words like 'affect', which although is a common misspelling, is also a valid word.

Something like the auto-correct dictionary used in Microsoft Word would be a good start, but broader because it is not required make an accurate match to a single expected word.

  • Why not use something along the lines of Aspell?
    – ojdo
    Oct 21, 2013 at 7:15

2 Answers 2


There is actually a Wikipedia page about this very topic, and they maintain a machine-readable list that you can use as a starting point if you're writing a tool.


Maybe this will help you: Word List - Commonly Misspelled English Words

  • 1
    There's a broken link here.
    – Charles
    Jul 16, 2015 at 15:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.