I'd like to be able to access the Gapminder files programmatically (e.g. via R or Python), but I can't find a way so far.
- Gapminder's downloads page offers a variety of tools and charts, but nothing for programmatic access (that I can tell)
- their data page is clicky.
- there's some discussion of the possibility of an API on their community support page, but nothing concrete
- someone wrote a Python app, but I have to admit that I don't really understand how to use it (I have installed it, and can run
python3 app.pyafter that, but that's as far as I get ..)
- this web page has a promising name, but it's a description of an R package that contains a little bit of downloaded Gapminder data
There's a nice R package for accessing World Bank data that overlaps with the data I want, but Gapminder seems to have stuff that isn't included in the WB database (e.g. GDP per capita 1950-1960).
... thoughts ... ?