For a current project I am looking for an API (or 'offline' CSV like format) which contains names and nutrition (kilokalories, protein, vitamins, etc.) of food and ingredients.
What I found so far:
- the food API of the USDA: https://ndb.nal.usda.gov/ndb/doc/
- the CSV export of the Federal Agency of Switzerland for food: naehrwertdaten.ch (sorry - I don't have enough reputation to post more links)
- resolve EAN 13 code to products: http://www.product-open-data.com/
- a very similar discussion: Open API for nutritional information and/or food barcodes?
Also there are some commercial APIs for resolving products to nutritions. But what they are all lacking is multi-language support.
My Use Case are e.g.
- User searches for "basmati rice" -> gets a response which list all the nutritions of basmati rice.
- User searches for "Erdbeeren" (German for strawberries) -> gets a response which listing nutritions for strawberries.
- User searches for "farine complète" (French for wholemeal flour) -> gets a response listing nutritions for wholemeal flour.
Just as a example. It is of course okay to first see a list of results and choose between e.g. different brands or variants.