Tools to convert units of measurement and conversion data is abundant, but what databases/datasets exist which aim to consolidate unit conversion data?
1 pound equals 0.45359237 kilogram per "Refinement Of Values For The Yard And The Pound", US Nat Bureau of Standards, 1959
Ideally it should:
- indicate which coefficients are prescribed by standards (rather than derived from the application of multiple other coefficients)
- cite the standard for each conversion coefficient
- carefully indicated precision of conversion coefficients
- contain standard unit abbreviations/symbology
- document units clearly to avoid confusion (ex: aliases and formal names)
- be expressed/published in a portable machine-readable format (i.e. JSON)
Fantastically it would:
- also contain outdated standard historical values
- contain symbology for hybrid units
- describe context in which particular units are used (professions, regions of the world, etc.)
- cite standards for the unit symbology (ex: "lb")
This would make implementing a unit conversion library much easier since the step of aggregating conversion coefficients would be unnecessary.