I need a graph representation of NUTS-3 regions in the European Union, which can answer the question whether a certain region is neighbor of another region.
I have looked at the data available from geovocab and from EuroGeographics but I cannot find discrete adjacency information there. Is there a dataset or available transformation routine out there with this information?
Proposal for an algorithm
Otherwise I would apply the following algorithm to get this graph:
- Get NUTS-3 data with named city
- Find lat/lon of city and create the nodes of the graph
- Determine pairwise distances between all nodes
- Determine pairwise angle between all nodes
- Given the polar coordinates from step 3/4, find the nearest neighbors in every direction
- Create edges between these nodes
Do you have comments or improvements on this algorithm?