Open Data Stack Exchange is a Q&A site for developers, researchers, and anyone else interested in open data.
Open data, as defined by the Open Definition, is any kind of data that can be freely used, modified, and shared by anyone for any purpose.
If you have a question about …
- where to find any kind of open data
- specific open data sets
- software tools related to open data
- best practices regarding open data
- licensing and releasing open data
- open data formats and standards
- linked data, ontologies and related semantic technologies
- analysis and visualization of open data
… then you're in the right place!
Data requests ("Where can I find data about … ?") are usually welcome for any topic. For more in-depth questions, there are several related expert sites available:
- GIS for questions about geographic information systems.
- Cross Validated for questions about statistics and data analysis.
- Data Science for questions about machine learning and data mining.
- Stack Overflow for programming questions without a clear focus on open data.
- Law for questions concerning legal aspects.
If your question is not specifically on-topic for Open Data Stack Exchange, it may be on topic for another Stack Exchange site. If no site currently exists that will accept your question, you may commit to or propose a new site at Area 51, the place where new Stack Exchange communities are democratically created.
For more help, see "What types of questions should I avoid asking?"